Casa M Ultimate Lentils
As always, from our table to yours... #SpiceConfidently #EssenceOfFlavor #ChemistryInTheKitchen #CasaMSpice
— Mike Hernandez
For the Lentils:
- 2 cups lentils (black beluga or green French), picked over and rinsed well
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into small lardons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon Casa M Spice Co® Chain Reaction®
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 10-1/2 ounce cans RoTel Chipotle tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound collard greens, rinsed well, deveined, chopped roughly
Pulling It All Together:
- a pinch or two of saffron threads (30-40 threads)
- 1 Tablespoon boiling water
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
LET’S GET COOKING
In a thick soup pot over medium-high heat, brown the bacon. When it’s cooked through and just before it starts to crisp, add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat, add the lentils, Chain Reaction®, and black pepper, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for about 45 minutes, or until tender.
While the lentils are cooking, make the saffron yogurt by combining the saffron threads and boiling water in a tiny cup. Let the saffron steep for a few minutes. Now stir the saffron along with the liquid into the yogurt and mix well.
Stir in the tomatoes and the chopped greens and cover. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if need be. Ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of the saffron yogurt.