Instant Pot Refried Beans
As always, from our table to yours... #SpiceConfidently #EssenceOfFlavor #ChemistryInTheKitchen #CasaMSpice
— Mike Hernandez
For the Beans:
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, large, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, roughly chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds dry pinto beans, rinsed and picked over
- 2 Tablespoons Casa M Spice Co® Chain Reaction®
- 12 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- Mexican cheese, shredded for garnish
LET’S GET COOKING
In the Instant Pot, set to sauté mode.
Add the oil. When hot, add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Stir constantly for 5 minutes.
Add the beans, and Casa M Spice Co® Chain Reaction® and cumin. Stir well.
Add the water and stir.
Cover the Instant Pot and set on High Pressure. Cook for 40 minutes.
Once done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes. Then open the release valve and vent manually.
Keep 2 cups of the bean’s liquid in a cup. Drain the rest of the liquid and return the beans back to the pot.
Using an immersion blender, blend the beans to your desired consistency adding some of the reserved liquid as you go.
Adjust seasoning with additional Chain Reaction®, black pepper, and cumin as desired.