Mexican Beef Soup
As always, from our table to yours... #SpiceConfidently #EssenceOfFlavor #ChemistryInTheKitchen #CasaMSpice
— Mike Hernandez
For the Soup:
- 2 lbs bone-in beef shank or NY strip steak, cut in large chunks
- 2 lbs boneless chuck steak, cut in large chunks
- 12 cups water (more if needed while it cooks)
- 1 head of garlic
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1/2 head of cabbage, cut in big pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 large potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 ears of corn, cleaned, cut into 4 to 5 pieces each
- 1 chayote squash, seed removed and chopped into chunks
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, diced
- 1/2 Tablespoon Casa M Spice Co® Cattle Drive®
- 1 Tablespoon Casa M Spice Co® Chain Reaction®
- 3/4 Tablespoon tomato bouillon
- Top with serrano peppers (if desired)
- Juice of a lime for topping (if desired)
- Tortillas as a side to dip in (if desired)
- White rice on the side (if desired)
LET’S GET COOKING
Chop up the beef.
Add water, beef, and Casa M Spice Co® blends to a large soup pot and bring to a light boil over medium heat skimming off foam as needed.
Add the head of garlic and onion. Return to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cook for 90 minutes. Add water as needed to maintain volume over the 90 minutes.
Add all the remaining vegetables except the zucchini. After 10 minutes, add the zucchini and tomato bouillon and cook for another 10 minutes.
Test the vegetables to ensure they are tender. Taste the broth and season as needed. Garnish with lime and cilantro leaves. Serve with tortillas and white rice.